Contact info and links:
Toeltvej 39 A
3050 Humlebæk, Denmark
mobile +45 31 68 90 13
Salvatore Russo, Italian Art Historian and Crtic, 2016. “The works of the contemporary artist Lis Engel are real poetic wisapers. Works dancing in space, and which are characterized by the chromatic refinement and a great power of sign. Works that tell the feelings of deep experience in a way I would describe as sublime. They seduce the eyes and open into dreaming states of realities. The visual art of Lis Engel don´t need to scream to be heard. The refined texture and the sensitive language make such works real masterpieces intended to remain in time.”
Karen Lappon, International Confedration of Art Critics, Chianciano Art Museum:
“The works of Lis Engel trsansport the observer into a world of dreams. The artist portrayes oneiric realities that have the appearance of new paradises. With great technical ability. Lis Engel speaks to us of her visions – The refined texture and the erudite language make such works, real masterpieces, free of external constraints, intended to remain in time (Salvatore Russo, Italian art Historian and art critic and curator, Segnalati, 2016)
Lis Engel is a wonderful self-taught painter: Her works are characterized by the purely impressionistic nature that derives from her inner responses to everyday life and to the objective world she sees around her, besides her more intimate meditations and dreams and her favorite myths and fairy tales.
Lis´s technique is made of purely gestural brushstrokes that create dynamism and tumult in her canvases, capturing the viewer from the very first moment and transporting him directly into her sublime reality, reminding us of the British abstract painter Howard Hodgkin and the Australian expressionist Arthur Boyd.
The lines are basic and essential and offer an almost childlike quality to the subjects, although her ability to depict her figures is outstandingly expressive. The reduction of form and simplicity of outlines highlight her explicit allegorical and poetic nature.
The use of colours is stunning. Lis uses soft, harmonic hues, prevailingly pastel tones, to offer the viewer a most refreshing and joyful experience. The chromatic primacy and combinations of colours only accentuate the meaning and symbolism in her paintings. There is a story behind each artwork that is told through Lis´s artistry and creative talent and imagination. The viewer is overwhelmed by the evocative intensity of her visual narrative and finds himself unconsciously living each story with passionate participation.
Her compositions are fascinating and superbly charming. Her delicate, subtle, generous manner of conveying her most precious feelings is absolutely unique. We are bystanders in the face of a highly talented artist and her compelling and ecstraordinary sensitivity. Her pure spirit and artform are a true and joyful gift to the world of moern abstract painting. (Karen Lappon, International Confederation of Art Critics (ICAC), Chianciano Art Museum
- 2016: Minerva Prisen, Lecce, Italy.
- 2016: Canaletto Prize – Associazione Socio Culturale Ea Editore
- 2016: The Best Modern and Contemporary Artists – for stylistic value. Curated by Salvatore Russo and Francesco Saverio Russo.
- 2015: Raffaello Sanzio, maestro d´arte associate onorario e benemerito , Lecce, Italy.
- 2015: Premio della Critica, 2015, Serradifalco.
- 2014: 1 BIENNALE CREATIVA VERONA, (Palaexpo) PALERMO, ITALIA “Per il valore artistico manifestato. Un talent eccelso e sensibile.” 12-16 febbraio
- 2014: ROMA: Leonardo Incontra Canova – per il suo valore stilistico, Galleria L´Agostiniana Piazza del Popolo-
- 2014: Trofeo Artistico Cavalieri Di Malta O.S.J. (Knights of Malta)19-25 luglio.
- 2011: Diploma of excellence (honorable Award) for the painting “Red Madonna”.
- 2004, 2006 Outstanding achievement in Amateur Society of Photographers.
- Engel, Lis, Krop, psyke, verden, Hovedland-University of Copenhagen, 2001.
- Engel, Lis et al, Bevægelsens PoetikMuseum Tusculanum, 2006
- Engel, Lis. Dans, Dans, Dans. Frydenlund, 2007.